Feb 25

The Five: Top Oscar Moments of 2013

Comments (25) by Kim Bongiorno February 25, 2013 - 2:00 PM

This year's Oscars were full of fabulous fashion (we're looking at you, Naomi Watts) and fun moments (who knew Charlize could dance like that?), hosted by the charmingly chipper Seth MacFarlane. From the expected George Clooney jokes to witnessing Meryl Streep picking her wedgie onstage, there was never a dull moment. Was Jennifer Lawrence tipsy when she tripped and fell up the stairs on her way to collect her golden trophy? Who cares! That girl can recover from anything, and we're willing to forgive her.

Here are my five favorite moments from the evening:

1. Sally Field snogs Seth MacFarlane.

2. The arrival of Anne Hathaway's spiked nipples on the red carpet, causing a collective "WTF was she thinking?"

3. Quiet, serious Daniel Day Lewis breaks a record with his third Best Actor win, then brings down the house with an unexpectedly hilarious acceptance speech.

4. First Lady Michelle Obama announces ‘Argo' as Best Picture, and the Academy chooses not to cut off either co-producer Grant Heslov as he gives Ben Affleck his moment, or Ben himself during their speeches. Best Director Snub: almost forgiven.

5. Side Boob as the official guest of honor.

Kim Bongiorno of In The Powder RoomKim Bongiorno is a writer, mom and wife stomping around the suburbs like a confused, nerdy, albino Wolverine. Kim is known for hitting you with the funny, then surprising with the sweet, on her blog LetMeStartBySaying, and is both a staff writer and the Social Media Manager at InThePowderRoom. Come see the many inane things she shares on Facebook and Twitter, or learn more about her work on KimBongiornoWrites

by Kim Bongiorno February 25, 2013 - 2:00 PM

• Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 9:55 pm
    by  JohnoMori
    I cannot believe swaying Renee was not on this list. I credit it her for getting up there in spite of the fact that she was heavily under the influence.
  • 4 replies, Last reply by Leslie Marinelli on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 6:46 pm
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 9:57 pm
    by  JohnoMori
    @JohnoMori: Oh, and the line of the night was during the McFarlane/Sally skit - "I've got a bottle of wine and some Boniva."
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 10:06 pm
    @JohnoMori: The Boniva line had me laughing so hard, my friends made me rewind the tape.
  • Report Tue Feb 26, 2013 - 6:46 pm
    @JohnoMori: AGREED! The Boniva line KILLED me.
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 10:06 pm
    @JohnoMori: Renee gets under my skin, like nails on a totally obnoxious chalkboard. WHERE ARE HER EYES?
  • Report Tue Feb 26, 2013 - 1:29 am
    What is up with the side boob? And Renee Zelwegger???.....
  • 1 reply, Last reply by Kim Bongiorno on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 3:34 am
  • Report Tue Feb 26, 2013 - 3:34 am
    @lhewitt: The side boob is the most random fashion trend EVER, in my opinion. And Renee Z? Well, she lost her marbles sometime not long after filming Bridget Jones' Diary. Never been normal since.
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 11:01 pm
    by  Amy
    I'm always kind of ambivalent about when the winners thank the other people in their category. If I was a loser in your category and then you tell me how awesome I am, it's like when someone is breaking up with you and they tell you how great you are. Yeah? If I'm so great, how come YOU won? That being said, I thought it wasn't terrible and I agree with your top 5 moments. I loved Daniel Day Lewis, who usually drives me nuts with his quiet seriousness, and I was moved by Ben Affleck's being moved. A little miffed because I felt like he was dissing my friend, Jennifer Garner for a minute, but then he got back on the love track. :)
  • 1 reply, Last reply by Kim Bongiorno on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 12:27 am
  • Report Tue Feb 26, 2013 - 12:27 am
    @Amy: Daniel Day Lewis caught me so by surprise with his speech, I could not get enough of him. I could listen to him give speeches all day long. :)
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 9:48 pm
    Renee Zellweger's missing eyes and Kristen Stewart's disheveled mess took most bizarre awards.
  • 3 replies, Last reply by Kim Bongiorno on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 12:14 am
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 10:05 pm
    @Kerry Rossow: Agreed! I know KStew was broken, medicated & supposed to be on crutches, but I think *someone* could have helped pull her shit back together to look presentable. Sheesh.
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 10:49 pm
    @Kim Bongiorno: And, how about Anne's nipples?
  • Report Tue Feb 26, 2013 - 12:14 am
    @Kerry Rossow: I think Anne's nipples poked out Renee Z's eyes. It's the only rational explanation.
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 9:58 pm
    Catherine Zeta Jones doing All That Jazz live was my fav. But she will forever have my heart. I would totally be her #1 fan, if I ever decided to become a stalker, but there's some pretty hefty competition there. And all the people with their panties in a knot about Seth need to get over themselves. I thought he was hilarious. You get what you pay for!
  • 1 reply, Last reply by Kim Bongiorno on Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 10:07 pm
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 10:07 pm
    @DomesticPirate: What annoys me is that she CAN SING, but lip-syncecd it so badly. Ugh. Seth did well - I liked him!
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 9:40 pm
    by  RoseMary King
    It was nice to know Chivalry is not dead. As witnessed when Hugh Jackman jumped up to the aid of Jennifer when she tripped up the stairs. Charlize Theron does Dior right. She does everything right. Robin Robert's comeback was perfect. She looked goegeous. Halle Barry wanted her look to harken back to the Bond Girls and she looked FIERCE!!! Loved it.
  • 1 reply, Last reply by Kim Bongiorno on Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 10:04 pm
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 10:04 pm
    @RoseMary King: Yes, it's nice to see fellas up to a lady's rescue when she falls. Charlize is amazing in clothes. I'd rather see her dresses than naked, any day. Halle kicks so much genetic ass it's amazing! I normally loathe striped dresses, but she made it hers. Blew me away.
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 9:37 pm
    by  Lance
    Best beards - 1) Affleck 2) Clooney 3) Hugh Jackman's wife Jen Lawrence is just great.
  • 1 reply, Last reply by Kim Bongiorno on Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 10:03 pm
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 10:03 pm
    @Lance: You make me laugh. Naughty naughty...
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 9:35 pm
    I think Meryl was catching the back of her dress after it caught on her shoe. I saw her slip a little as she walked out. Anne Hathaway's areolas were too much. Oh and the Les Miz stage number was FANTASTIC!!
  • 1 reply, Last reply by Kim Bongiorno on Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 10:03 pm
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 10:03 pm
    @Frugalistablog: Still looked like a wedgie pick to me and my 2 friends who were over - we couldn't stop laughing! her dress was perfect, though, and sometimes Meryl goes sooooo wrong. The Lez Miz number was much, much better than I worried it would be. I mean, they let Russell sing...and he wasn't as bad as in the movie. Thank goodness. ALSO: Amanda Seyfried's Oscar dress bored me. But her red dress for that number? LOVE.
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 9:30 pm
    by  Andrea
    I thought the Christopher Plummer intro was really clever and hilarious! :)
  • 1 reply, Last reply by Kim Bongiorno on Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 9:38 pm
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 9:38 pm
    @Andrea: He makes me happier than a bottle of sunshine. Love him!
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 9:29 pm
    by  Kir
    I wasn't impressed with the show as a whole, but the 5 you picked, I have to agree with. I was loving on Ben all night (Argo was a fantastic movie), loved Amy Adam's dress, thought Kristen Stewart was HIGH and have hair envy with Charlize and Anne. ;) it was worth it to see DDL speech and Ben accept Best Film. I went to bed smiling.
  • 1 reply, Last reply by Kim Bongiorno on Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 9:37 pm
  • Report Mon Feb 25, 2013 - 9:37 pm
    @Kir: I'm glad Seth MacFarlane was good, not too naughty. Though, Amy & Tina need to host it next year. Ben makes me happy in the heart - I do think Argo was the best of them all. Amy Adams is so spot-on with the dresses. I think she had trouble sitting in it, but it's the price you pay, right? ;) Kristen Stewart was probably high on pain meds for her broken foot - but couldn't someone have brushed her hair for her? And, really, just walk on stage with your crutches. It's ok, girl. DDL's speech ending with that beautiful tribute to his wife made the night. Love him.