Feb 03

Freedom of speech in the blogosphere

Comments (16) by Jessica Bold February 03, 2012 - 7:02 AM

I started my personal blog a few years ago as a way to get my feelings out.  I struggle with vocalizing what is bothering me but give me a pen and paper and I'll go to town.

Writing is cathartic.

Writing is my release.

Take that away from me?  Everything gets bottled up inside.

I probably made a giant mistake when I decided to tell my family and friends about my blog.  The day I became known and not anonymous became the day my words began to become censored.

Granted, I never asked anyone to read my blog.  They just...did...so technically, if they got offended then they should just forget I even had a blog, right?

So, so wrong.

Apparently, the more something offends you, the more you want to read about it and throw in your commentary from the peanut gallery.

Commentary like, "Don't write about this anymore."

Um...what?

It's my blog.  It's my choice what I can and cannot write about.  Hello, freedom of speech?  Why should I have to plead the fifth?

Part of me wishes I had never shared my blog with people I knew "in the flesh" while another part of me doesn't really care.  Whether or not I write about the way I feel about something doesn't mean my feelings will change.

Ignorance must be bliss for you-who-try-to-censor-what-I-write-about. Except, funny thing is, just because you didn't read about how I felt about something or someone on my blog doesn't mean I've stopped feeling that way.

​So, I censor to make you feel better?

What about my catharsis?  I don't get that release anymore just so you feel better?

How is that fair?

I've struggled with not writing about certain topics and people on my blog because I didn't want to accidentally offend anyone.  Granted, I have never written about anyone with malice except my father.

Apparently, that's a no-no.

Whenever someone tries to tell me not to do something, I get my panties in a wad and want to do it all that much more, and worse, times a million.

The ironic part?

I was given the suggestion to write a book about all of these "things" that I shouldn't write about on my blog.

Um...assuming the book was published means that there would probably be a hell of a lot more people reading about the 'dirt' that you're currently trying to get me to stay quiet about, so I'm not sure I even understand that proposal.

So, here I sit, with proverbial tape over my mouth, though I doubt that will last much longer, given my emotional state with pregnancy and my newfound ability to just say whatever the hell I want without really caring - at the moment - who I'm offending.

I've never been one to ask someone to stop talking about a particular topic that was bothering him or her immensely...so who are you to try and do that to me?

by Jessica Bold February 03, 2012 - 7:02 AM

• Report Mon Feb 6, 2012 - 8:41 pm
    by  Glen
    I find the phrase "panties in a wad" hugely offensive. Please refrain from using it... :-) It is a strange thing - on your own blog you'd think that you should be able to say what you like and just accept that doing so effects your viewing figures in one way or another - at the end of the day it's your place, visitors come or they don't. but life isn't that straight forward and our blogs aren't our own living room, they are public domain and it is the equivalent of you standing in Trafalgar Square with a loud haler and then simultaneously doing it in every square of every town on the planet. At the end of the day you just can't say anything because people can see it without wanting to. The public domain is just that - public. And because of that we do have to think first. That said - you should still be able to genuinely vent your thoughts -- absolutely!!
  • 1 reply, Last reply by Jessica Bold on Mon Feb 6, 2012 at 8:46 pm
  • Report Mon Feb 6, 2012 - 8:46 pm
    @Glen: Agreed...on all counts...except the panties in a wad. That one is staying. ;)
  • Report Mon Feb 6, 2012 - 5:02 am
    I have 2- one I let everyone know about, and one only a very select few know of. this lets me write and keep the people who say "you should have a blog!" happy, and still have a cathartic outlet where I can let it blast.
  • 1 reply, Last reply by Jessica Bold on Mon Feb 6, 2012 at 8:46 pm
  • Report Mon Feb 6, 2012 - 8:46 pm
    @rootietoot: Such a brilliant idea.....that I really should have considered.
  • Report Sun Feb 5, 2012 - 4:56 am
    Only a few discreet friends know of my blog and that is how I'm currently keeping it. It may suprise you to know that even my husband doesn't know about it but as you say its cathartic, it gets the rubbish out of my head and though its also a big secret its mine! BNM
  • 1 reply, Last reply by Jessica Bold on Mon Feb 6, 2012 at 8:45 pm
  • Report Mon Feb 6, 2012 - 8:45 pm
    @Barenakedmummy: That's awesome that your husband doesn't know. Mine...obviously does. I mean, I don't really have much to vent about when it comes to him since I just say it to his face but....bravo to you for being able to keep it under wraps!
  • Report Sat Feb 4, 2012 - 1:24 am
    by  EmmaK
    Yeah I guess we've all been there. Why oh why did I tell my mum about my blog. If I had to do it all again ...I'd go totally anonymous!!!
  • 1 reply, Last reply by Jessica Bold on Sat Feb 4, 2012 at 10:18 pm
  • Report Sat Feb 4, 2012 - 10:18 pm
    @EmmaK: Me too, I think....me too...
  • Report Fri Feb 3, 2012 - 4:36 pm
    by  Fiona
    I loved being pregnant for that very reason! I've always wondered how bloggers cope with friends and family reading along - it must make for a lively christmas lunch!
  • 3 replies, Last reply by Jessica Bold on Fri Feb 3, 2012 at 10:55 pm
  • Report Fri Feb 3, 2012 - 6:42 pm
    @Fiona: Or a very silent, awkward one... :) It's weird when family members start talking about something I said "on the blog" when I had no idea they even followed it!
  • Report Fri Feb 3, 2012 - 9:29 pm
    by  Fiona
    @Jessica Bold: eeek, even worse you know they have probably gone right back and read every word you wrote before you were censoring yourself!! Yipes
  • Report Fri Feb 3, 2012 - 10:55 pm
    @Fiona: I KNOW!!!! As much as I don't want to think it happens...I know it does.
  • Report Fri Feb 3, 2012 - 10:05 pm
    by  Ellie
    I completely agree! I started a blog when I began 'proper' army life and stupidly let my family & friends know about it, am now desperate to vent but can't as I get told off for thinking bad things let alone putting them into words! So annoying, thinking about starting a new blog just so I can vent!
  • 1 reply, Last reply by Jessica Bold on Fri Feb 3, 2012 at 10:54 pm
  • Report Fri Feb 3, 2012 - 10:54 pm
    @Ellie: I've contemplated that, too....something separate and secret where I can just go off...because I can't do that on my blog now, obviously. Fail on foresight on my part.
  • Report Fri Feb 3, 2012 - 9:42 pm
    I'm pretty sure I lost some "in-laws" with one of my posts.
  • 1 reply, Last reply by Jessica Bold on Fri Feb 3, 2012 at 10:54 pm
  • Report Fri Feb 3, 2012 - 10:54 pm
    @Janie Emaus: It happens to the best of us....