Feb 08

I propose a toast

Comments (12) by LoriD February 08, 2012 - 7:01 AM

There's something very special about having close female friends.

I don't know about you, but I have quite a few acquaintances and casual friends. People I know, who are pleasant company, who I have things, mostly blogging or children, in common with. Who I enjoy spending time with. These people, male and female (but mostly female) 'cause that's just the way it seems to go - are awesome, and I love them.

But they're not quite the same as the handful of very close girlfriends I have. These women are my soul sisters, my heart friends, the people who keep me sane and remind me I'm ‘Lori' and not just ‘Mum'. These ladies aren't my friends because we have the kids the same age, or we both blog, or even because we live down the road from one another.

These women are my friends, my close friends, because they just are. Because they understand me most of the time; and when they don't understand me, they don't judge me. They are my friends because it doesn't matter where we are, or what we're doing, we have fun. Because we can talk for hours about absolutely nothing and everything, but if someone asked what it was we talked about, we couldn't name a single specific topic.

If you're lucky, and I hope you are, you know exactly what I'm talking about. There is no friendship more rewarding, more powerful, more steeped in the feminine existence, than that of two women who can speak to each other's souls.

My grandmother told me recently that for most of her adult life, she never had a close girlfriend. It wasn't until she was in her mid-seventies that she met a soul sister - a lovely woman, a fellow widow who lived close by. The two of them would meet for tea, go on outings together, compare gardens and pets and just generally have a natter about life.

My gran's best mate passed away just a few months ago. Naturally, Gran is grieving for her, missing her the way she would miss a limb, a husband, a child. She appreciated every second of their friendship. But that never makes grief any easier.

So, ladies of the Powder Room, if you will, I propose a toast. In honour of my Gran and her best girlfriend Daune, and the very special love they shared.

In honour of my girlfriends, particularly one by the name of Emma, who I've known for seventeen years.

A toast to you and your girlfriends, if you're lucky enough to have them, and the richness they bring.

To the power of the relationships of women, everywhere, all across the world.

Cheers to that.

by LoriD February 08, 2012 - 7:01 AM

• Report Mon May 20, 2013 - 1:07 pm
    I like to read novels!!!
  • Report Wed Oct 24, 2012 - 11:26 pm
    Speaking about team and individual activities it is necessary to point out that this overview provides sample information concerning the role and functions of each member of the team in particular and the whole team at large. Main concern of this material is observation that would help someone to complete his or her paper. Therefore they will read more in future.
  • Report Thu Mar 8, 2012 - 1:47 am
    Here is to Megan and Amber! The two girls that have scheduled coffee chats and martini meetings in my week! Heck my boyfriend doesn't get that treatment!
  • Report Thu Feb 9, 2012 - 3:23 pm
    "two women who can speak to eachother's souls". perfect. I have 4 of these friends. I'm a lucky girl. M2Mx
  • Report Wed Feb 8, 2012 - 8:53 pm
    by  Glen
    Do you, by any chance, sometimes have them over for pyjama party pillow fights? Or has the Internet been lying to me about what groups of girl friends get up to again?
  • 1 reply, Last reply by LoriD on Thu Feb 9, 2012 at 12:40 pm
  • Report Thu Feb 9, 2012 - 12:40 pm
    by  LoriD
    @Glen: Heh. Glen, I hate to break it you, but I haven't had a pillowfight since I was eight. Sad, but true- you have been deceived. Nice avi, by the way- the hair totally suits you :p
  • Report Thu Feb 9, 2012 - 7:43 am
    by  christy
    I had two of those types of friends. Then I took my life a direction they didn't like. They judged me and abandoned me when I was at my greatest need. I hate that shit. Now I have neither.
  • Report Thu Feb 9, 2012 - 6:58 am
    Thank you so much for this post.I found lots of interesting information here. And thanks for sharing it's really wonderful and useful =)))
  • Report Thu Feb 9, 2012 - 5:09 am
    I will drink to this! I'm so happy your Gran finally found a BFF. They are the best!
  • Report Thu Feb 9, 2012 - 1:18 am
    I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.
  • Report Wed Feb 8, 2012 - 10:40 pm
    I'll drink to this. I have a core group of five friends that I've known since high school.
  • Report Wed Feb 8, 2012 - 4:25 pm
    by  Rachel
    Lori, So well said! It's in times of hardship that we really discover our true friends, they are the ones, who laugh with you, cry with you because of your pain, take you around when you can't and make life seem less streasfull! I don't know how to thank those dear people enough! A toast to our dear friends!