Jun 04

Do real men craft?

Comments (13) by Clare Macnaughton June 04, 2012 - 6:01 AM

Estranged other half, Hagar the pilot is in touch with his emotional self at home but not at work. Some of my girlfriends actually refer to him as Big Gay Hagar, because of his burly stature but also penchant for creating mood boards prior to a room redecoration. It is he who buys the home decorating magazines, not me.

In the build up to his pending deployment we were talking about his accommodation and how it will be covered in pictures of scantily clad females. Now Hagar is pretty handy with a digital camera. In fact we have just opened a photographic art gallery together at t'chateau called PhArtHaus which is a collection of our photographs, or photographic art, or PhArt, over the years. (It's a joint business venture as we are saving up for our divorce! It's very expensive getting divorced you know.)

I suggested that instead of lewd pictures of naked girls that perhaps he could print off some of his fabulous landscape images that he has taken recently of the bountiful county of Wessex. Afghanistan in the summer is scorchio, dusty, dry and arid. I thought some images of lush green England with the glowing yellow of flowering fields of rape that adorn the hillsides would be a welcome sight in the pre-fab rattling air conditioned portacabin that will be his home throughout his deployment. He agreed but then had to work out if it was manly enough for his walls. Could he cope with the banter?

Today, in the gallery, I had a visitor. A mid 40's marketing communications consultant who has just taken early redundancy to embark on his mid-life crisis, or as he likes to spin it, his mid-life reflection. He was talking about launching a business where men attended mid-life reflection courses, where they created mood boards to share their emotions. It posed an interesting question for me. Are men emotionally evolved enough where they would actually be willing to sign up for such a course? One that taught them how to express themselves through collage and texture? It made me think of Glen's post Lord of the Gays and how this could well be the road to gayitis.

Are only gay men allowed to be in touch with their emotional self or are we ready for the heterosexual man to explore his emotions? Are they even ready to come out and declare their feelings? I would be ready to listen if they were.

by Clare Macnaughton June 04, 2012 - 6:01 AM

• Report Sat Aug 25, 2012 - 7:12 pm
    hmm...I dont thnink so...
  • Report Tue Jun 5, 2012 - 4:48 pm
    by  Chris
    Hi Clare, great to see our conversation sparked this thinking. One point to clarify however is that the idea I am exploring is not targeting males exclusively. My interest is in developing a range of experiences, some of which will be creative, to help people express themselves. It is fascinating how the gay theme gets introduced when the subject of men and emotions are brought together. I do however agree with your observation about levels of self awareness and where some participants in such a course might be starting from. Good debate.
  • 3 replies, Last reply by Clare Macnaughton on Tue Jun 5, 2012 at 8:01 pm
  • Report Tue Jun 5, 2012 - 7:11 pm
    @Chris: Thanks Chris - and for popping over to check it out! Yes - it's true - it's also known as just gay enough! :)
  • Report Tue Jun 5, 2012 - 7:12 pm
    @Chris: Ha ha - thanks for loving the gallery name to - we are all PhArt lovers in our house!
  • Report Tue Jun 5, 2012 - 8:01 pm
    @Clare Macnaughton: This was meant for Lisa! doh!
  • Report Tue Jun 5, 2012 - 5:07 am
    Hey Clare, First of all, love the name of your gallery and the art. This has been discussed around some and I think my husband is borderline metrosexual. He is somewhat expressive,but that is about it. I'm really not sure I want to listen to a heterosexual male explore his emotions. I might laugh or cry at some inappropriate moment. I think I will leave it to the professionals.
  • 2 replies, Last reply by Clare Macnaughton on Tue Jun 5, 2012 at 8:01 pm
  • Report Tue Jun 5, 2012 - 7:12 pm
    @lhewitt: It's good to let men become more emotionally aware. It might help them when they get in a pickle more if they had the confidence to say 'I am unhappy please help me.'
  • Report Tue Jun 5, 2012 - 8:01 pm
    @lhewitt: Ha ha - thanks for loving the gallery name to - we are all PhArt lovers in our house!
  • Report Mon Jun 4, 2012 - 10:08 pm
    Ha. 2 answers for this. Being and showing sensitivity is deffiniely manly and cool. Only real idiots would think otherwise. However ... Going on a course to discuss it all with other men? Wrap me up in satin and chuck me off a cliff. Not on your life! Unless you get free burgers and beer?
  • 1 reply, Last reply by Clare Macnaughton on Tue Jun 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm
  • Report Tue Jun 5, 2012 - 7:14 pm
    @The Regular Guy UK: But could you do it without having to macho it up? Come on get your mood board on!!
  • Report Mon Jun 4, 2012 - 7:45 pm
    I know a few men who are very sensitive and emotional. They are not gay, although some people do think they are. Which is crazy. Why can't men have a sensitive side? And a man doesn't have to be gay in order to take care of his elderly mother.
  • 2 replies, Last reply by Clare Macnaughton on Tue Jun 5, 2012 at 7:13 pm
  • Report Mon Jun 4, 2012 - 10:09 pm
    @Janie Emaus: Totally agree. I see no problem with being a.human being.
  • Report Tue Jun 5, 2012 - 7:13 pm
    @Janie Emaus: Exactly! We want men to be more emotionally aware and then we frighten them off with the gay tag. It's such a crazy world we live in.